Tuesday 4 June 2013

Meat-Free Monday #4 - Quorn Pasta Bake

I am a bad, bad blogger and neglected to do this post last week. Maybe I was busy being a big, fatty carnivore last Monday, I don't remember. Still, never one to leave something half finished, here is the final installment of this Meat-Free Monday feature. And this week I thought I'd give Quorn a go. Quorn is made from something called Mycoprotein and looks pretty much exactly like meat. It's low in fat and high in protein and fibre so is great is you're looking to make your usual meals healthier. I've cooked with it a few times before and it absorbs the flavours you're cooking with really well without leaving that fatty residue that cooking meat can produce. I knew I wanted to do a Quorn recipe for this feature  but when I had a sneaky gander at the website it was just perfect; they're currently encouraging people to take part in the #makeonechange challenge whereby you change from meat to Quorn for one meal each week for a month. Sounds familiar?! Check it out here if you fancy giving it a go.

Anywho, onwards to the food! As a very busy (aka lazy) student I'm a big fan of the ol' quick and easy pasta bake. Literally bung a few ingredients together and whack it in the oven with a whopping load of cheese of top. Half an hour later a culinary masterpiece will emerge. Last night I was craving pasta bake. I got this recipe from a student cookbook I bought for first year at university and that book practically taught me to cook. Or at least how to survive between the holidays, I'd say actual competency in the kitchen came later. I went for this beefy pasta bake and simply swapped the beef mince for Quorn mince. To recreate my meal you will need:

250g Quorn mince
2 large carrots
1/2 onion
4 cups of pasta
1 can of condensed tomato soup
1 cup of grated cheese



Chop and fry the onion. Chop and boil the carrots. Fry the Quorn mince. Meanwhile boil the pasta. Combine the above and pour over the condensed soup. Mix ingredients together. Transfer into a oven-proof dish. Sprinkle over the grated cheese. Bung it into a pre-heated oven for half an hour. Whap together a salad or some vegetables to serve while you wait impatiently for the magic to occur.


Et volia!
Now...gobble gobble gobble!!


Admittedly not the most attractive of meals but who really gives a crap when it tastes this good?! Thumbs up for Quorn! Literally would hardly know the difference. Y'all should give it a try.

Warning: this meal is designed for two portions. You will want to eat it all though. I leave it up to you whether you resist or not...


Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...